Legendery style and design
It begins with a founder’s vision of beauty that was brought to life through unassailable standards of excellence. As awards and accolades accrued, Mr. Tiffany led his company’s growth from a New York City legend to a jeweler of international renown.
The company was founded in 1837 by Charles Lewis Tiffany and John B. Young, in Brooklyn, Connecticut, as a “stationery and fancy goods emporium”, with the help of Charles Tiffany’s father, who financed the store for only $1,000 with profits from a cotton mill.
The store initially sold a wide variety of stationery items and, as of 1838, operated as “Tiffany, Young and Ellis”. The name was shortened to Tiffany & Company in 1853, when Charles Tiffany took control and established the firm’s emphasis on jewelry.
The company has since opened stores in major cities worldwide. Unlike other stores at the time in the 1830s, Tiffany clearly marked the prices on its goods to forestall any haggling overprices. In addition, against the social norm at the time, Tiffany only accepted cash payments, and did not allow purchases on credit. Such practices (fixed prices for ready money) had first been introduced in 1750 by Palmer’s of London Bridge.