Paris, Place vendôme, since 1858
Maison Boucheron is a French luxury jewellery, founded by Frederic Boucheron in 1858. He won the Gold Medal during the Exposition Universelle.
What is the BOUCHERON success story?
Frederic Boucheron in 1858, opened his first store at Palais-Royal, during the heyday of the Second French Empire. He created his atelier in 1866 and a year later won the Gold Medal during the Exposition Universelle (1867).
Paul Legrand (1840-1910) worked as the chief designer for the house of Boucheron from 1863. He is credited with the idea of combining pearls with diamond rondelles, first seen in Boucheron products in 1889. The “rondelle” cut of diamonds was pioneered by Bordinckx.
While Legrand was head designer, in 1879, Boucheron developed a clasp-less necklace, which was part of its show which won a Grand Prix for Outstanding Innovation in a Jewellery Collection at the 1889 World’s Fair.
Legrand was also influential in the design of the “Plume de Paon” (Peacock’s Feather) design, which has featured in Boucheron collections since Legrand and Frédéric Boucheron created it in 1866. It featured in the Point d’Interrogation necklace, which was bought by Grand Duke Alexei Alexandrovich Romanov. This necklace was also featured in the World’s Fair-winning collection.
In 1893, Frédéric Boucheron became the first jeweller to move to Place Vendôme in Paris, where it remains today.